ADDRESS : Bangphai, Muang, Nonthaburi 11000, Thailand
TELEPHONE : (02)4470799-800
FAX : (02)4472784
E-MAIL : email@example.com
Directions : From Bangkok take "Chao Phraya
Express Boat" to Nonthaburi. Cross the river with the ferry and take the red
Pick-up red truck to WAT SANGHATHAN.
You can take aswell airconditioned Bus Nr. 106 from Silom
Road to Nonthaburi, cross the river and go on with the Pick-up
Meditation System : Meditation based on the Four Foundations of
Mindfulness, Mindfulness with breathing and other methods as thaught in the
Teaching Method : New arrivals are provided with
instructions, then interviews are given as needed. There is group Sitting and
Walking Meditation (see Daily Schedule).
Teacher : Ajhan Sanong Katapunyo, Abbot (Thai; age 56)
Ajhan Sanong speaks some English; a few monks and nuns speak English
and help with translations.
Description : The Center covers about 50 acres of land near the
Chao Phraya River.
Many trees and ponds make it a beautifull
place in nature very near to Bangkok.
Size : monks: 100 - 300
novices: 10 - 300 (when school holiday in April)
nuns: 30 layperson: 40 - 100
Accomodations : Laypeople stay in their own rooms
or in dormitories. Womens- and Mens areas are seperated.
Write in Advance? Recommended. Especially if you want to participate a
course at "KAO YAI SAENG" Meditation Center.
Ordination : One can request to ordain
as a monk or novice. One must practise as ordained layperson (Phra Kao) for some
time before ordination.
Food : Good quality and variety Thai food is offered at 9.30 at the buffet, some vegetarian dishes available.(see Daily Schedule).
Information : WAT SANGHATHAN does not charge you
for your stay. However donations are welcome to support the temples running
RULES AND CONDITIONS FOR STAYING AT WAT SANGHATHAN
You are welcome at WAT SANGHATHAN!
- You are allowed to stay at WAT SANGHATHAN for seven days to learn about Meditation
and the Lord Buddha's Teachings. If you want to continue with your practise after the first
seven days you must ask permission from the venerable Acharn Sanong Katapunnyo or
the nun who is in charge.
- When you arrive at WAT SANGHATHAN for the first time please give two passport photos
and show your passport to the staff at the office.
- On future visits you will only have to sign on arrival.
- During you retreat you should wear white clothing. These can be bought at the shop.
(Do not wear shorts or improper clothes).
- If you decide to ordain, you should stay in the temple grounds, leave other outside
activities behind you. Do not bring mobile-phones and pagers in the temple.
- We do not accept people for ordination, who have recieved money in order to do so.
- People who have commited crimes against the laws are not allowed to ordain at
- Do not bring valuables like jewellery or large amounts of money when you come
to the temple. If you do and they go missing WAT SANGHATHAN doesnot take responsibility.
- Before you start your retreat you must take the precepts at the preceptor.
- People, who are addicted to drugs or alcohol are not allowed to ordain. It's not
allowed to smoke cigarettes in the temple-area.
- It is your duty to do the regular Chantings, Walking and Sitting Meditations.
After these you should return to your resting place (Kutti). If for some reason you are unable
to attend the Chanting and Meditation, please inform the nun who is in charge.
- We should keep the place where we live clean and tidy. Do not throw away
rubbish but put it in the prepared containers.
- Please keep noble silence. (No talking at all to anyone but your teacher).
You are not allowed to have guests in private rooms. If you have a visitor, you can meet
with him in the dinning area. Ordained nuns should not talk to a man alone, they should
be accompanied by at least one other female. Try to follow the temples-rules, be mindful
at all times. It's important for the development of the Four Foundations of Mindfulness
- Fortune-telling or any other kind of black magic is prohibited in the temple area.
- If you have some business with a monk, you can only go there with another
person. While talking to the monk you should fold your hands and sit in a correct position.
- If you have an important duty outside of the temple, you must inform the nun
in charge and you have to go with a friend.
- You should eat only one meal a day at 9.30 in the morning. Be mindful
when you pick up the food and while eating. When you eat or drink sit first. You are
not allowed to drink milk, ovaltine or any other milk drinks after 12 o'clock midday.
- When you take the precepts or disrobe, you must go to the preceptor with
the nun responsible for you.
After disrobing you shouldn't pick up food dressed as a nun, you should
change back into your normal dress.
THE EIGHT PRECEPTS
- Refraining from killing living beings.
- Refraining from taking which is not given.
- Refraining from having sexual conduct.
- Refraining from telling lies or having harsh speech.
- Refraining from drinking intoxicating liquors and taking drugs - which
leads to carelessness.
- Refraining from eating after 12 o'clock midday.
- Refraining from dancing, singing, listening to music, going to shows,
wearing garlands and beautifying oneselfs with perfumes and cosmetics.
- Refraining from lying on a high and luxurious sleeping place.